Image of Sant’Ana Mestra from the old headquarters of Lavras

Sant’Ama: Padroeira de Lavras This High Altare we realized in the past was confirmed as a protected cultural heritage of Lavras. Check out the newsletter about it.

Conforme é amplamente conhecido, a antiga Igreja Matriz de Sant’Ana de Lavras teve seu nome alterado em 9 de setembro de 1917, quando na inauguração da nova matriz. Naquele dia, uma procissão partiu da velha matriz, quando a imagem de Sant’Ana foi conduzida em andor devidamente paramentado e carregado por pessoas conceituadas.

Foi assim que a Imagem de Sant’Ana Mestra saiu do trono do retábulo-mor, lugar em que estava desde o Século XVIII. Sua autoria nos é ignorada, embora indícios sugerem que seja obra de um dos entalhadores que trabalhavam na comarca do Rio das Mortes à época, como Luiz Pinheiro de Souza, José Maria da Silva ou Francisco de Lima Cerqueira.

Após sua transferência, a imagem permaneceu na nova matriz pelo menos até 1928. Daí em diante, a imagem “desaparece” nos registros históricos, possivelmente, tendo permanecido na igreja ou tendo sido levada para o porão do salão paroquial. Por ter se apartado de sua sede, a imagem de Sant’Ana Mestra ficou alheia ao processo de tombamento federal da Igreja do Rosário, apesar de ser indiretamente citada em documento que compõe o tratado deste patrimônio nos arquivos do IPHAN [1940-1979].

É preciso salientar que questões que se prolongam por décadas invariavelmente acabam sendo esquecidas, sendo este o curioso status jurídico da Imagem de Sant’Ana Mestra. Apesar dela comprovadamente pertencer ao acervo histórico da antiga matriz, sua existência era ignorada do IPHAN até 2019, quando a Secretaria Municipal de Cultura alertou a superintendência estadual daquele órgão e também promoveu o tombamento municipal da imagem.

No final do Século XIX, a nova conjuntura nacional republicana e o espírito progressista da Belle Époque, fizeram refletir a mudança dos tempos em Lavras. Em 1893, assume a paróquia de Sant’Ana o padre Francisco Severo Malaquias, e uma de suas primeiras providências é se reunir com as lideranças locais para efetivar o projeto de dotar a cidade de uma nova igreja matriz de Sant’Ana. A construção, contudo, só pôde se iniciar em 1904, porque a Igreja e as autoridades municipais priorizaram a construção de um colégio católico, a fazer frente ao educandário protestante criado em 1892.

Curiosidade:A planta da matriz fora elaborada pelo arquiteto José Piffer, nascido em Bolzen, Áustria (atual Bolzano, Itália). É de se especular que tenha sido dele a indicação para a aquisição do retábulo-mor da igreja, uma vez que foi feito em Ortisei, cidade distante apenas 30km de sua terra natal

Não foi uma obra simples; sua execução, inclusive, está entre as maiores, senão a maior, mobilização social de capitação de donativos espontâneos para uma obra de interesse comum na História de Lavras, tendo custado, até 1917, quase 120 contos de réis. A nova Igreja Matriz de Sant’Ana fora consagrada em 9 de setembro de 1917 pelo bispo de Campanha, d. João Almeida Ferrão (1853-1935). A torre da igreja, porém, só seria concluída em 1923, quando então a paróquia era administrada pelo padre Castorino de Brito.

Tendo em vista os altos custos dessas obras todas, demorar-se-iam alguns anos mais para a compra do retábulo-mor. Foi o dinâmico e empreendedor padre Fernando Baumhoff (1881-1955), primeiro Dehoniano a servir como pároco de Sant’Ana, entre 1924 e 1929, que promoveu, em 1927, uma campanha para sua aquisição. Para tal, uma quermesse na Praça Dr. Augusto Silva fora realizada, tendo a Congregação das Filhas de Maria Auxiliadora apoiado diretamente.

O retábulo-mor foi assim adquirido da companhia Ferdinand Stuflesser 1875, tendo chegado em Lavras em 1928. Esta firma tirolesa existe até hoje, produzindo, através de cinco gerações, mais de novecentos altares para diversos locais do mundo. Fundada por Ferdinand Stuflesser I (1855-1926), a companhia prosseguiu com seu filho Johann Stuflesser (1883-1958), o qual é o autor do retábulo-mor da Igreja Matriz.

Os nichos do retábulo contém o sacrário, com um crucifixo, e as imagens de Sant’Ana Mestra, ao centro, ensinando Maria, além das representações de dois anjos, São José e São Joaquim, respectivamente o esposo e o pai de Maria Possui o retábulo uma inscrição em Latim na parte inferior: “ADOREMUS TE CHRISTE ET BENEDICIMUS TE”, em Português, “Nós Vos adoramos e Vos bendizemos, Cristo”. Trata-se da frase inicial da Primeira Estação da Via Sacra.

Além deste conjunto artístico, Johann Stuflesser fez também outro crucifixo que está na sacristia. Um detalhe pouco conhecido é que, originalmente, havia uma pintura na parede, atrás do retábulo-mor, feita pelo sacristão Afonso Weihermann.

Entre 2010 e 2011, o retábulo passou por um processo de restauração, dirigida por Alexandre Reis, que eliminou infestações de cupins e aplicou novos douramentos. Esta restauração revelou detalhes em baixo relevo no sacrário que estavam encobertos por reformas não bem sucedidas. Em 2016, a imagem de Sant’Ana Mestra, ao centro do retábulo-mor também foi restaurada pelo artista Carlos Magno Araújo, de São João del-Rei (MG). O restaurador fez limpeza, novo tratamento contra cupins, consolidação com pó de madeira para fechar áreas danificadas, e a reintegração da peça com nova pintura.

As it is widely known, the old Mother Church of Sant’Ana de Lavras had its name changed on September 9, 1917, when the new Mother Church was inaugurated. On that day, a procession started from the old main church, when the image of Sant’Ana was conducted in a suitably dressed and carried by renowned people.

This is how the Image of Sant’Ana Mestra left the throne of the main altar, where it had been since the 18th century. His authorship is ignored, although evidence suggests that it is the work of one of the carvers who worked in the Rio das Mortes region at the time, such as Luiz Pinheiro de Souza, José Maria da Silva or Francisco de Lima Cerqueira.

After its transfer, the image remained in the new matrix at least until 1928. From then on, the image “disappears” in the historical records, possibly having remained in the church or having been taken to the basement of the parish hall. For having moved away from its headquarters, the image of Sant’Ana Mestra was alien to the federal process of the overthrow of the Church of the Rosary, despite being indirectly cited in a document that composes the treatise of this patrimony in the IPHAN archives [1940-1979].

It is important to point out that issues that go on for decades invariably end up being forgotten, this being the curious legal status of the Image of Sant’Ana Mestra. Although it has been proven to belong to the historical archive of the old headquarters, its existence was ignored by IPHAN until 2019, when the Municipal Secretariat of Culture alerted the state superintendence of that agency and also promoted the municipal overturning of the image.

 

At the end of the 19th century, the new national republican situation and the progressive spirit of the Belle Époque, made reflect the change of times in Lavras. In 1893, Father Francisco Severo Malaquias took over the parish of Sant’Ana, and one of his first steps was to meet with the local leaders to carry out the project of providing the city with a new mother church of Sant’Ana. The construction, however, could only begin in 1904, because the Church and the municipal authorities prioritized the construction of a Catholic school, to confront the Protestant school created in 1892.

Curiosity: The plan of the matrix was elaborated by the architect José Piffer, born in Bolzano, Austria (now Bolzano, Italy). It is to be speculated that it was his indication for the acquisition of the main altarpiece of the church, since it was made in Ortisei, a city only 30km away from his homeland.

It was not a simple work; its execution is even among the largest, if not the greatest, social mobilization of spontaneous donations for a work of common interest in the History of Lavras, having cost, until 1917, almost 120 tales of réis. The new Mother Church of Sant’Ana was consecrated on September 9, 1917 by the Bishop of Campanha, D. João Almeida Ferrão (1853-1935). The church tower, however, would only be completed in 1923, when the parish was then administered by Father Castorino de Brito.

In view of the high costs of all these works, it would take a few more years to purchase the main altarpiece. Fernando Baumhoff (1881-1955), the first Dehonian to serve as parish priest of Sant’Ana, between 1924 and 1929, who promoted a campaign for its acquisition in 1927. For this, a kermesse in Dr. Augusto Silva Square was held and the Congregation of the Daughters of Mary Help of Christians directly supported it.

The main altarpiece was thus acquired from the company Ferdinand Stuflesser 1875, having arrived in Lavras in 1928. This Tyrolean firm still exists today, producing, through five generations, more than nine hundred altars for various places in the world. Founded by Ferdinand Stuflesser I (1855-1926), the company continued with his son Johann Stuflesser (1883-1958), who is the author of the main altarpiece of the Mother Church.

 

 

The altarpiece’s niches contain the tabernacle, with a crucifix, and the images of St. Anne the Master, in the center, teaching Mary, in addition to the representations of two angels, St. Joseph and St. Joachim, respectively the spouse and the father of Mary. The altarpiece has an inscription in Latin at the bottom: “ADOREMUS TE CHRISTE ET BENEDICIMUS TE”, in Portuguese, “We adore You and bless You, Christ”. This is the initial phrase of the First Station of the Way of the Cross.

Besides this artistic ensemble, Johann Stuflesser also made another crucifix that is in the sacristy. A little known detail is that originally there was a painting on the wall, behind the main altarpiece, made by the sacristan Afonso Weihermann.

Between 2010 and 2011, the altarpiece underwent a restoration process, directed by Alexandre Reis, which eliminated termite infestations and applied new gilding. This restoration revealed details in low relief in the tabernacle that were covered by unsuccessful reforms. In 2016, the image of Sant’Ana Mestra, at the center of the main altarpiece, was also restored by the artist Carlos Magno Araújo, from São João del-Rei (MG). The restorer did cleaning, new treatment against termites, consolidation with wood dust to close damaged areas, and the reintegration of the piece with new painting.

Here you can share the article:
Read more of our stories:
Donations as a sign of love and gratitude.
In 140 years, several wooden sculptures and products have been given away, as a sign of gratitude.
Quality trademark - the Church deserves only the best.
This quality trademark informs about the difference between hand-carved and individual pieces and industrially manufactured mass products.
The art of woodcarving in Ortisei, Val Gardena.
The wood carvers in Val Gardena have an excellent reputation. For many generations we already practice the craft of wood carving.